Friday, November 27, 2009

Let the season begin . . .

The day after Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year. It is the beginning of the Christmas season in our home. Today we went to see Santa and have the kids' pictures taken with him. We have gone to the same place the Friday after Thanksgiving for the past five years. This year Andrew was not about to let go of dad. He had the death grip on Kelly and was not letting go for any reason or anyone. So Kelly decided that he would sit with Drew while he talked to Santa. Since he would be in the picture, Kelly suggested that I sit in the picture also. I did not come prepared to be in a family Santa picture. I would have done something to my hair instead of the standard pony tail, but whatever. It is all part of our family story that we write with our daily events.
Here is the 2009 Santa picture:
It was still early in the day by the time we where through with our "family portrait." The weather was still nice outside. Nice in the Northwest means not raining. So we decided to go and get our Christmas tree. We usually get it the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but with the weather being so unpredictable out here, we decided to take advantage of the good weather. We went to our local U-cut Christmas tree farm. It is a nice family owned place. We have gone there for the past few years and enjoy the trees they have to offer.
I love this picture of Andrew. It reminds me of my dad. Silly I know, but I have a memory of the family going up into the the hills in California to cut our own tree. In that picture in my memory my dad has on a down jacket almost the same color as Andrew's, though my dad's was stained with car oil.
Earlier in the day we stopped in a local store to pick up a few things. Jacob had to have this Santa hat so I said, "I will buy you this hat if you promise to wear it." He wore it all day. I even had to take it off him after he fell asleep. He wanted to wear it all night. I am so blessed with cute kids!
I tried to get a picture of everyone in front of the tree we picked as a family. This is the best picture from the batch. Andrew had melted, Kelly was being silly, and Jacob wouldn't hold still.
What a great day! Tomorrow we will decorate and bring the tree in. Yeah. . . --emily

4 comments:

CJAllred said...

Darling Family Portrait with Santa!
The tree looks awesome--Kelly is hilarious--the boys are adorable. What a fun day.

Darci said...

What fun traditions. You sure don't waste any time getting in the Christmas spirit! I love it.

Mom-entarily Out of Order said...

Very cute! We got our tree early this year too, but due to surgeries not weather :-P.

I'll be doing pictures w/Santa at the ward party Saturday morning as well - in case you want to do your hair.

Hi! said...

What great memories for everyone. Love Jacob's Santa hat. Really fun pictures of everyone. Did the adults get to ask Santa for something? Hope you took advantage of Drew's unease with Santa.
Love, momAKAgrandma